In 1931, the final phase of the Mission Inn was completed at the north-west corner of the hotel. This phase included the St. Francis Chapel and Atrio, the Galeria, and the Court of the Orient, which were all considered part of the International Rotunda or “Rotunda Internacional.” Literature published by the Mission Inn boasted that a variety of architectural forms were evident there, including arcades, buttresses, flying buttresses, balconies, turrets, domes, and pinnacles.
The International Rotunda project was designed by the architectural firm of G. Stanley Wilson. The structure was built almost entirely of concrete reinforced with steel. Concrete was poured into large wooden forms containing steel to create thick walls; when the forms were removed, impressions from the wood grain remained.